The Effects of Relative Humidity on the Performances of PEMFC MEAs with Various Nafion Ionomer Contents
- The Effects of Relative Humidity on the Performances of PEMFC MEAs with Various Nafion Ionomer Contents
- 김근호; 이관영; 이상엽; 조은애; 임태훈; 김형준; 윤성필; 김세훈; 임태원; 장종현
- PEMFC; MEA (membrane-electrode assembly); Relative Humidity; Nafion Ionomer; CCM (catalyst-coated membrane) spraying method
- Issue Date
- The 10th Asian Hydrogen Energy Conference (AHEC 2009)
- , 331-342
- For PEMFC operation, water nlanagelnent is very impoiltant to pIovide both sufficient
proton conductivity and mass tlansport. Therefbre, in this study. the efEbct of relative humidity(38~ 87%) on cell performances have been exalnined for PEMFC MEAs with variious Nafion
ionomer content, which were fabricated by CCM (catalyst-coated membrane) splaying Illethod.
As the relative humidity of cathodes (RHC) increases, the cell voltages at 0.4 and 1.2 A/cm2
increased for the Μ EA with 20 wt% ionomer. This can be explained by the exponsion of active
sites with enhanced ionic conductivity(activation overpotential). In contrast, with higher RHC,
the cell voltages for 35 wt% ionomer (more hydrophilic), gradually decreased as a result of
slowed gas transport (concentration overpotential). The MEAs with intermediate ionomer
contents, 25 and 30 wt%, the cell voltage at 0.4A/cm2 showed maximum value at RHC 67%,
where the mass transport starts ιo be more dominant factor. The highest unit cell performance
was observed for the MEA with ionomer content of 25wt% at RHC 59%, and 20wt% at higher
humidity of 87%, respectively.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Conference Paper
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.