Improvement of an electronic aid for the blind using ultrasonic and acceleration sensors
- Improvement of an electronic aid for the blind using ultrasonic and acceleration sensors
- 김래현; 박세형; 이수용; 조현철; 하성도
- 시각장애인; 장애물검출; 초음파센서; 흰지팡이; 스마트원드; Visually Impaired People; Obstacle detection; Ultrasonic sensor; White cane; SmartWand
- Issue Date
- 정보과학회논문지, 소프트웨어 및 응용; Journal of KISS : software and applications.
- VOL 36, NO 4, 291-297
- This paper introduces an electronic travel aid, named SmartWand, which detects obstacles
using a ultrasonic sensor. In addition to obstacle detection, the SmartWand senses color information
of objects and the environmental brightness. It is designed to be attached to a ordinary white cane in
order to detect the obstacles at head-hight which cannot be covered by the cane. We have improved
the first version of the SmartWand based on a user evaluation. The second version is much lighter
and smaller than the previous one. It has been enhanced by two new functions. The SmartWand
eliminates impact errors due to tapping the ground using a moving average filtering algorithm and
restricts the detection range to the path in the moving direction using an acceleration sensor. We
have tested these functions in various environments to determine the parameters for these functions.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.