Detection and enrichment of anaerobic ammonium oxidizer in the biomass of domestic sewage treatment plants by using a real-time quantitative PCR
- Detection and enrichment of anaerobic ammonium oxidizer in the biomass of domestic sewage treatment plants by using a real-time quantitative PCR
- 배효관; 정윤철; 정진영
- anaerobic ammonium oxidation; phylogenetic tree; enrichment; real-time quantitative PCR
- Issue Date
- The 31th international symposium on enviromental issues
- , 102-123
- Enrichment of anammox bacteria using five activated sludges in three domestic WWTPs were processed in a short term of 70 days and evaluated by real-time quantitative PCR (RTQ-PCR). Before the enrichment, building phylogenetic trees of four reactors of SBR, anoxic and oxic reactors of A2O process, and RBC revealed the wide distribution of anammox bacteria, which were affiliated to Planctomycete KSU-1, and putative anammox bacteria. The enrichment of anammox bacteria resulted in the significant anammox activity of three samples. The highest concentration of anammox bacteria was 2.48×109 copies/mg-VSS, which was the same order of magnitude as that of the referential granular anammox sludge, 6.23×109 copies, taken from an anammox upflow anaerobic sludge blanket (UASB) reactor. The doubling time of anammox bacteria enriched in this study was 1.18 days. The growth yield of anammox bacteria enriched in this study was 4.75×106 copies/ammonium- and nitrite-nitrogen, which was similar to 4.50×106 copies/ammonium- and nitrite-nitrogen for referential anammox sludges. In addition, anammox activities of three successful enrichments were comparable to those of granular and suspended anammox sludge. Rapid enrichment of anammox bacteria using activated sludge could offer an alternative method for obtaining a large volume of seeding anammox sludge.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Conference Paper
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.