Development of Fe-Al mixed oxide for arsenic removal : comparative study with single metal oxides
- Development of Fe-Al mixed oxide for arsenic removal : comparative study with single metal oxides
- 홍혜진; Wasif Farooq; 양중석; 양지원
- adsorption; arsenic,; iron-aluminum binary oxide; metal oxide; pH effect
- Issue Date
- Sixteenth symposium on separation science and technology for energy applications
- Arsenic is a serious concern due to its toxicity even at low concentration. Iron oxide is widely
used to arsenic adsorbent. To enhance the arsenic adsorption capacity, aluminum oxide is
blended with iron oxide in this study(Fe-Al binary oxide). Aluminum oxide exhibits
extremely large surface area that improves dispersion of iron oxide. Fe-Al binary oxide and
single metal oxides are synthesized by sol-gel hydrothermal method. Characteristics of
synthesized adsorbents are analyzed by SEM-EDAX, XRD and B.E.T analyzer. 71% of Fe-
Al binary oxide surface consists of oxygen, Al and Fe take 18 and 10%, respectively. Fe-Al
binary oxide exhibits large surface area(87.42 ㎡/g) as compared with iron oxide(34.3 ㎡/g).
Fe-Al binary oxide shows 4 times higher arsenic adsorption capacity than the other single
metal oxides. It seems that increase of surface area promotes the iron oxide contact with
arsenic in the water. Adsorption of arsenic on all adsorbents are well fitted with Langmuir
isotherm. Maximum adsorbed mass of As(V) on iron oxide, aluminum oxide and Fe-Al
binary oxide are 12.4, 10.8 and 37.6 mg/g, respectively. Increase of pH lower the As(V)
adsorption. Fe-Al binary oxide shows much higher As(V) adsorption capacity than single
metal oxides over all pH except pH 2 and 13. Different from As(V), As(III) adsorption
increased with pH. Fe-Al binary oxide efficiently adsorb the As(III) at high pH(>8).
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Conference Paper
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.