Enhancement of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell performance by boiling a membrane electrode assembly in sulfuric acid solution
- Enhancement of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell performance by boiling a membrane electrode assembly in sulfuric acid solution
- 조용훈; 김진호; 유성종; 전태열; 안민제; 정남기; 조윤환; 임주완; 이중기; 성영은
- PEMFC; MEA; Catalyst-coated membrane; Pretreatment; Polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell; Sulfuric acid solution
- Issue Date
- Journal of power sources
- VOL 195, NO 18, 5952-5956
- A catalyst-coated membrane (CCM) as used in the membrane electrode assembly (MEA) of a polymer
electrolyte membrane fuel cell is treated by dilute sulfuric acid solution (0.5M) at boiling temperature for
1 h. This treatment improves the single-cell performance of the CCM without further addition of Pt catalyst.
The changed microstructure and electrochemical properties of the catalyst layer are investigated by
field emission scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive X-ray, mercury intrusion porosimetry,
waterdrop contact angle measurement, Fourier transform-infrared spectrometry in attenuated total
reflection mode, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, and cyclic voltammetry. The results indicate
that this pretreatment enhances MEA performance by changing the microstructure of the catalyst layer
and thus changing the degree of hydration, and by modifying the Pt surface, thus enhancing the oxygen
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.