Isolation and Identification of Antioxidant Compounds from Ligularia fischeri
- Isolation and Identification of Antioxidant Compounds from Ligularia fischeri
- 상아방; 김상민; 송대근; 판철호; 이원종; 엄병헌
- antioxidant activity; caffeoylquinic acid; Ligularia fischeri; on-line HPLC method; Trolox
- Issue Date
- Journal of food science : an official publication of the Institute of Food Technologists
- VOL 75, NO 6, C530-C535
- The plant Ligularia fischeri var. spiciformis Nakai, a well-known edible medicinal herb in Korea, has been used
to treat maladies such as jaundice, scarlet fever, rheumatoid arthritis, and hepatic function failure. In this research, 4 major
antioxidant compounds were detected from this plant’s leaves using an on-line high-performance liquid chromatography
(HPLC)-ABTS screening system, which can determine the antioxidant activity based on a decrease in absorbance at
734 nm after postcolumn reaction of HPLC-separated antioxidants with the 2,2'-azinobis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-
sulfonic acid) radicals (ABTS˙). In order to isolate these active compounds, a preparative HPLC was applied and their
chemical structures were identified as 5-O-caffeoylquinic acid (5-CQA), 3,4-di-O-caffeoylquinic acid (3,4-DCQA),
3,5-di-O-caffeoylquinic acid (3,5-DCQA), and 4,5-di-O-caffeoylquinic acid (4,5-DCQA) by ESI/MS" and 1H NMR.
These 4 isomers comprised over 10% of the dried leaves, with 3,5-DCQA being the most abundant compound. The
radical scavenging activity of each isomer was also evaluated simultaneously through the on-line HPLC-ABTS method,
which showed 94% antioxidant activity of the ethanol extract derived from caffeoylquinic acids. Among these isomers,
3,4-DCQA contained the most strong antioxidant activity while 3,5-DCQA accounted for the highest radical scavenging
capacity due to having the highest content.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.