The Role of the Lignan Constituents in the Effect of Schisandra chinensis Fruit Extract on Penile Erection
- The Role of the Lignan Constituents in the Effect of Schisandra chinensis Fruit Extract on Penile Erection
- 김혜경; 백윤옥; 최보람; Chen Zhao; 이희주; 김철영; 이성원; 전주홍; 박종관
- Schisandra chinensis; penile corpus cavernosum; sildenafil citrate; schisandrol A; schisandrol B
- Issue Date
- Phytotherapy research : PTR
- VOL 25, NO 12, 1776-1782
- The effect of the ethanol extract and active components of the fruit of Schisandra chinensis was evaluated on rabbit penile corpus cavernosum (PCC). PCC, pre-contracted with 10−5 m phenylephrine (Phe), was treated with extracts of S. chinensis at five different compositions of ethanol and water (95%, 70%, 50%, 30% and ethanol/water [v/v]) and three fractions (0.1, 0.5, 1 and 2 mg/mL). The effect of the extracts and active lignans (schisandrol A and schisandrol B) from S. chinensis on sildenafil citrate pre-incubated PCC was also evaluated. The PCC relaxation induced by the 95% ethanol extraction and the n-hexane fraction was concentration-dependent and the ethanol extract enhanced sildenafil citrate-induced PCC relaxation. The active components of S. chinensis (schisandrol A and schisandrol B) significantly enhanced sildenafil citrate-induced relaxation >2-fold; schisandrol A had the highest relaxant effect on sildenafil citrate pre-incubated PCC. The lignans, schisandrol A and schisandrol B, isolated from the fruits of S. chinensis enhanced sildenafil citrate-induced relaxation and may have synergistic action in patients who do not completely respond to sildenafil.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.