Perpendicular Magnetic Anisotropy in FePt Patterned Media Employing a CrV Seed Layer
- Perpendicular Magnetic Anisotropy in FePt Patterned Media Employing a CrV Seed Layer
- 김현수; 노진서; 노종욱; 천동원; 김성만; 정상현; 강호관; 정원용; 이우영
- Patterned Media; FePt; CrV underlayer; E-beam lithography
- Issue Date
- Nanoscale research letters
- VOL 6, NO 1, 1-6
- A thin FePt film was deposited onto a CrV seed layer at 400°C and showed a high coercivity (~3,400 Oe) and high magnetization (900–1,000 emu/cm3) characteristic of L10 phase. However, the magnetic properties of patterned media fabricated from the film stack were degraded due to the Ar-ion bombardment. We employed a deposition-last process, in which FePt film deposited at room temperature underwent lift-off and post-annealing processes, to avoid the exposure of FePt to Ar plasma. A patterned medium with 100-nm nano-columns showed an out-of-plane coercivity fivefold larger than its in-plane counterpart and a remanent magnetization comparable to saturation magnetization in the out-of-plane direction, indicating a high perpendicular anisotropy. These results demonstrate the high perpendicular anisotropy in FePt patterned media using a Cr-based compound seed layer for the first time and suggest that ultra-high-density magnetic recording media can be achieved using this optimized top-down approach.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.