Identification and characterization of a truncated isoform of NELL2
- Identification and characterization of a truncated isoform of NELL2
- Kim, Donggyu; 황은미; Yoo, Jae Cheal; 김은주; Park, Nammi; Rhee, Sangmyung; Ha, Chang Man; Hong, Seong-Geun; Park, Jae-Yong
- NELL2; Truncated NELL2; Alternative splicing; Neurite outgrowth; Secretion
- Issue Date
- Biochemical and biophysical research communications
- VOL 391, NO 1, 529-534
- NELL2 is a neuron-specific secreted glycoprotein containing an N-terminal thrombospondin I-like domain
(TSP-N). In this study, we describe NELL2-Tsp, a novel alternative splice variant of rat NELL2. NELL2-Tsp
uses an alternate stop codon resulting in a C-terminal truncated form of NELL2, containing a signal peptide
and a TSP-N domain. NELL2-Tsp is a glycosylated protein specifically expressed in brain tissue.
NELL2-Tsp and NELL2 are secreted, likely due to the putative signal peptide. However, due to the truncation,
the secreted portion of NELL2-Tsp is smaller than that of NELL2. Immunoprecipitation analysis
confirmed that NELL2-Tsp was able to associate with NELL2 and with itself. In addition, expression of
NELL2-Tsp notably reduced secretion of NELL2 and inhibited NELL2-mediated neurite outgrowth. These
results suggest that NELL2-Tsp may act as a negative regulator of wild-type NELL2.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.