Determinants of R&D Performance of Government-supported Research Institutes in the Field of Science and Technology : A Case Study of the Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
- Determinants of R&D Performance of Government-supported Research Institutes in the Field of Science and Technology : A Case Study of the Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST)
- 최호영; 최치호; 김정수
- 정부출연연구기관; 연구개발성과요인; 한국과학기술연구원; KIST; Government-supported research institutes; Determinants of R&D performance
- Issue Date
- 기술혁신학회지; Journal of Korea Technology Innovation Society
- VOL 14, NO 4, 791-812
- The aim of this paper is to address the factors that influence R&D performance of the Korea
Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), the representative government-supported research
institute in Korea, through an empirical case study.
Using the KIST R&D project data from 2004 to 2008, we investigate the determinants of R&D
performance through a logistic regression analysis, and compare the results with the survey
data we collected from researchers.
Our results indicate that total budget, high rate of temporary researchers, and the outcome
of the research director's past publications affect publishing performance, while the size of
equipment, materials expenditure, and whether the research is outsourced or not affect patent
registration performance and technology transfer performance.
Contrary to expectations, major factors of publishing performance and that of patent
performance are different respectively, and even the results of the survey data we collected
from researchers show the difference.
Accordingly, the findings of our study suggest the need for research institutes to consider
facilitating communication with researchers and enhancing research policy analysis for improving
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.