Molecular design and synthesis of ruthenium(II) sensitizers for highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells
- Molecular design and synthesis of ruthenium(II) sensitizers for highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells
- A. Anthonysamy; Y. Lee; B. Karunagaran; V. Ganapathy; S.-W. Rhee; S. Karthikeyan; K. S. Kim; 고민재; 박남규; M.-J. Ju; 김진곤
- Issue Date
- Journal of materials chemistry
- VOL 21, NO 33, 12389-12397
- We synthesized hydrophobic ruthenium(II) sensitizers (SY-04 and SY-05) with high molar extinction
coefficient by extending the π-conjugation of 3,4- or 3-alkylthiophene-substituted bipyridine ligands.
Both dyes displayed a remarkably high molar extinction coefficient of 21.7 x 103M-1 cm-1 arising from
red-shift of their metal-to-ligand charge transfer band when compared to a commonly used N3
sensitizer. The solar-to-electrical energy conversion efficiency (η) of the SY-04 based dye-sensitized
solar cell (DSC) was 7.70%, which is 27% higher than that (6.05%) of the N3-based DSC under the same
cell fabrication conditions. The increased h was attributed to the increase in life time and recombination
half-life measured by electrochemical impedance and transition absorption spectroscopy, respectively.
Density functional theory and time-dependent density functional theory calculations of two dyes in
both gas phase and solution were performed. The calculated values of the highest occupied and the
lowest unoccupied molecular orbitals and absorption spectra are in good agreement with the
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.