Synthesis of Pure meso-2,3-Butanediol from Crude Glycerol Using an Engineered Metabolic Pathway in Escherichia coli
- Synthesis of Pure meso-2,3-Butanediol from Crude Glycerol Using an Engineered Metabolic Pathway in Escherichia coli
- 이수진; 김보림; 박경문; 엄영순; 이진원
- butanediol; E. coli; glycerol; meso-2,3-Butanediol; Crude glycerol; Klebsiella pneumonia; Escherichia coli; Gene manipulation; Metabolic pathway engineering
- Issue Date
- Applied biochemistry and biotechnology
- VOL 166, NO 7, 1801-1813
- meso-2,3-Butanediol (meso-2,3-BDO) is essential for the synthesis of various economically valuable biosynthetic products; however, the production of meso-2,3-BDO from expensive carbon sources is an obstacle for industrial applications. In this study, genes involved in the synthesis of 2,3-BDO in Klebsiella pneumoniae were identified and used to genetically modify Escherichia coli for meso-2,3-BDO production. Two 2,3-BDO biosynthesis genes—budA, encoding acetolactate, and meso-budC, encoding meso-SADH—from K. pneumoniae were cloned into the pUC18 plasmid and introduced into E. coli. In 2 l batch culture, the SGSB03 E. coli strain yielded meso-2,3-BDO at 0.31 g/gglucose (with a maximum of 15.7 g/lculture after 48 h) and 0.21 g/gcrude glycerol (with a maximum of 6.9 g/lculture after 48 h). Batch cultures were grown under optimized conditions (aerobic, 6% carbon source, 37 °C, and initial pH 7). To find the optimal culture conditions for meso-2,3-BDO production, we evaluated the enzyme activity of meso-SADH and the whole cell conversion yield (meso-2,3-BDO/acetoin) of the E. coli SGSB02, which contains pSB02. meso-SADH showed high enzyme activity at 30–37 °C and pH 7 (30.5–41.5 U/mg of protein), and the conversion yield of SGSB02 E. coli was highest at 37–42 °C and a pH of 7 (0.25–0.28 g meso-2,3-BDO/gacetoin).
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.