Analysis of below-threshold efficiency characteristics of InGaN-based blue laser diodes
- Analysis of below-threshold efficiency characteristics of InGaN-based blue laser diodes
- 류한열; 최원준; 전기성; 강민구; 최윤호; 이정수
- Laser Diode; InGaN; blue LD
- Issue Date
- Journal of applied physics
- VOL 112, NO 8, 083109-1-083109-5
- In this study, we investigate the below-threshold emission characteristics of InGaN-based blue laser diodes (LDs) emitting at 442 nm to study the efficiency droop effects in InGaN LDs. From the measurement of spontaneous emission in the LD, it is observed that the peak efficiency appears at a current density of ∼20 A/cm2 and the efficiency at the threshold current density of ∼2.3 kA/cm2 are reduced to ∼47% of the peak efficiency. The measured spontaneous emission characteristics are analyzed using the carrier rate equation model, and the peak internal quantum efficiency is found to be ∼75% using the fit of the measured efficiency curve. In addition, the Auger recombination coefficient of the measured InGaN blue LD is found to be 10−31–10−30 cm6/s, which is somewhat lower than that reported for InGaN-based blue light-emitting diodes. It is discussed that low dislocation density and uniform current injection in quantum wells may have resulted in the low Auger recombination coefficient of InGaN LDs.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.