Microstructure Evolution and Defect Formation in Cu Through-Silicon Vias (TSVs) During Thermal Annealing
- Microstructure Evolution and Defect Formation in Cu Through-Silicon Vias (TSVs) During Thermal Annealing
- 신해아슬; 김병준; 김주헌; 황성환; ARIEF SURIADI BUDIMAN; 손호영; 변광유; NOBUMICHI TAMURA; MARTIN KUNZ; 김동익; 주영창
- Through-silicon via (TSV); copper; microstructure; twin; stress
- Issue Date
- Journal of electronic materials
- VOL 41, NO 4, 712-719
- The microstructural evolution of Cu through-silicon vias (TSVs) during thermal
annealing was investigated by analyzing the Cu microstructure and the
effects of twin boundaries and stress in the TSV. The Cu TSV had two regions
with different grain sizes between the center and the edge with a random Cu
texture before and after annealing. The grain size of large grains was almost
unchanged after annealing, and the abrupt grain growth was restricted by the
twin boundaries due to their structural stability. However, microvoids and
cracks in the Cu TSV were observed after annealing. These defects were
formed by the stress concentration among Cu grains. After defects were
formed, the stress level of the TSV was decreased after annealing.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.