Dispersion and magnetic field-induced alignment of functionalized carbon nanotubes in liquid crystals
- Dispersion and magnetic field-induced alignment of functionalized carbon nanotubes in liquid crystals
- Hye Jin Yoo; Sun Young Lee; 유남호; 이동수; 여현욱; 최용문; 고문주; Jinwoo Park; Kazuo Akagi; Jae Whan Cho
- liquid crystal functionalized CNT; magnetic field; alingment of CNT; liquid crystalline CNT; Magnetic alignment; carbon nanotube; functionalized carbon nanotube
- Issue Date
- Synthetic metals
- VOL 181, 10-17
- Liquid crystal (LC)-functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWNTs) were synthesized by substi-tuting decyloxy and phenylcyclohexyl (PCH) mesogenic moieties into MWNT surface through covalentlinkage. The LC-functionalized MWNTs (LC-MWNTs) showed good dispersion stability in ethanol as wellas good miscibility in a host thermotropic nematic LC (N-LC). A polarizing optical microscope imagedemonstrated that the LC-MWNTs could be well dispersed in the host N-LC within 5 wt% content of LC-MWNTs without aggregation, which is ascribed to the substantial affinity between the PCH moieties andthe host N-LC molecules. It was found that the LC-MWNTs in the host LC matrix could be well alignedparallel to the direction of the applied magnetic field of 5 T. Then the high order parameter of 0.46 forLC-MWNTs was obtained from the measurement of polarized Raman spectroscopy.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.