An apoptosis-homing peptide-conjugated low molecular weight heparin-taurocholate conjugate with antitumor properties
- An apoptosis-homing peptide-conjugated low molecular weight heparin-taurocholate conjugate with antitumor properties
- Sang Mun Bae; Jong-Ho Kim; Seung Woo Chung; Youngro Byun; 김상윤; Byung-Heon Lee; 김인산; Rang-Woon Park
- ApoPep-1-conjugated LMWH-taurocholate; Angiogenesis; Apoptosis; Homing peptide; In vivo imaging
- Issue Date
- VOL 34, NO 8, 2077-2086
- Various angiogenesis inhibitors and apoptosis-targeting agents have been therapeutically applied in preclinical cancer models, some of which have been tested in clinical trials. In a previous study, we demonstrated that LHT7, a low molecular weight heparin (LMWH)-taurocholate conjugate, has strong antiangiogenic and tumor-suppressive activity and diminished anticoagulant properties. In this study, we developed LHT7-ApoPep-1, an apoptosis-homing peptide-conjugated variant of LHT7. LHT7-ApoPep-1 exhibited antiangiogenic activity in endothelial cell tube-formation assays and apoptotic cell-targeting ability in tumor cell binding assays; it also showed little toxicity toward healthy cells. Administration of LHT7-ApoPep-1 in mouse xenograft models of breast carcinoma delayed tumor growth compared to LHT7-only, and histological evaluations revealed decreased vessel formation and increased apoptotic area in tumor tissues. Moreover, an examination of LHT7-ApoPep-1-Cy7.5 localization within the body using in vivo live imaging showed accumulation at the tumor site of tumor-bearing mice, with a more prolonged circulation time and enhanced intensity compared to LHT7-Cy7.5. Inspection of the tumor microenvironment revealed that Cy5.5-labeled LHT7-ApoPep-1 was located on and near CD31-positive vessels in tumor tissue. We conclude that LHT7-ApoPep-1 has antiangiogenic and apoptosis-targeting properties and exerts antitumor effects by suppressing tumor vessel growth and homing to apoptotic cells within the tumor.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.