Evaluation of physicochemical properties and fermenting qualities of apple wines added with medicinal herbs
- Evaluation of physicochemical properties and fermenting qualities of apple wines added with medicinal herbs
- Je-Hyuk Lee; Tae Ho Kang; 엄병헌; Eun-Hwa Sohn; Woo-Cheul Han; Seol-Hee Ji; Ki-Hyo Jang
- apple wines; antioxidant; fermentation; hwanggi; mistletoe; pine needle
- Issue Date
- Food science and biotechnology
- VOL 22, NO 4, 1039-1046
- To evaluate the possibility for development of apple wine containing medicinal herbs, we have prepared ‘Fuji’ apple (Malus domestica) wines containing pine (Pinus densiflora Siebold et Zuccarini) needle and hwanggi (Radix Astragali)/mistletoe (Viscum album). Normal apple wine was fermented rapidly, but after 40 days fermentation/maturation, the final ethanol content, pH, total acidity, and contents of sugar/organic acid showed similar levels in 3 kinds of apple wines. In other hands, the total phenols content, antocyanins content, and brightness were higher in apple-pine wine and apple-herb wine than in normal apple wine. Apple-herb wine had higher values in total phenol contents, brightness, free amino acid contents, and quenching activity for ABTS free radicals than normal apple wine, and had similar sensory evaluation values with normal apple wine. Taken together, it is supposed that hwanggi and mistletoe might provide functional components to normal apple wine and might be applied to development of functional apple wines.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.