Reference ranges for urinary levels of testosterone and epitestosterone, which may reveal gonadal function, in a Korean male population
- Reference ranges for urinary levels of testosterone and epitestosterone, which may reveal gonadal function, in a Korean male population
- 문주연; 권운용; 서성일; 정재철; 인문교; 정봉철; 김진영; 최만호
- testosterone; epitestosterone; marijuana; Korean; T/E ratio
- Issue Date
- The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology
- VOL 140, 100-105
- Cannabis, or marijuana, the most commonly used illicit drug in the world, has been shown to be respon-sible for suppressing the production and secretion of androgens, particularly testosterone. However,despite such findings in animals, the chronic effects of marijuana use on human endocrine systems haveproved to be inconsistent. Here, we investigated the reference ranges of urinary levels of testosterone(T) and epitestosterone (E) as well as their metabolic ratio of T/E in a Korean male population (n = 337),which would enable an evaluation of abnormal changes in steroid metabolism induced by habituallyadministered cannabis. The T/E ratio was significantly decreased in the marijuana group (n = 18), whilethe urinary testosterone concentrations were also tended to decrease. This study is the first to providedata for the reference values of two urinary androgens and T/E values among control Korean males, and,furthermore, suggests that the T/E ratio, though not testosterone levels, might be used to understand thesuppression of human male gonadal function affected by smoking marijuana.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.