Enhanced mechanical properties of a nanostructured Mg2Al4Si5O18-MgAl2O4 composite
- Enhanced mechanical properties of a nanostructured Mg2Al4Si5O18-MgAl2O4 composite
- 손인진; 강현수; 도정만; 윤진국
- Compound; Nanomaterials; Mechanical properties; Microstructure
- Issue Date
- Materials science & engineering. A, Structural materials : properties, microstructure and processing
- VOL 606, 139-143
- Single-step synthesis and consolidation of nanostructured Mg2Al4Si5O18–MgAl2O4 composite were achieved via pulsed-current-activated heating using a mixture of 3MgO, 3Al2O3 and 5SiO2 powders. Before sintering, the powder mixture was high-energy ball milled for 10 h. From the milled powder mixture, a highly dense nanostructured Mg2Al4Si5O18–MgAl2O4 composite could be obtained within one minute by simultaneously applying 80 MPa of pressure and a pulsed current. The advantage of this process is that it allows simultaneous synthesis and densification to near theoretical density while sustaining the nanosized microstructure of raw powders. The mechanical properties (hardness and fracture toughness) of Mg2Al4Si5O18 were improved by the addition of MgAl2O4.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.