Additive-Free Hollow-Structured Co3O4 Nanoparticle Li-Ion Battery: The Origins of Irreversible Capacity Loss
- Additive-Free Hollow-Structured Co3O4 Nanoparticle Li-Ion Battery: The Origins of Irreversible Capacity Loss
- Youngjun Kim; Jung-Hyun Lee; Sungeun Cho; Yongwoo Kwon; Insik In; Jihoon Lee; 유남호; Elsa Reichmanis; 고형덕; 이규태; 권현근; 고두현; Heesun Yang; Byoungnam Park
- cobalt oxide; conversion reaction; capacity loss; Li-ion battery; nanoparticle
- Issue Date
- ACS Nano
- VOL 8, NO 7, 6701-6712
- Origins of the irreversible capacity loss were addressed through probing changes in the electronic and structural properties of hollow-structured Co3O4 nanoparticles (NPs) during lithiation and delithiation using electrochemical Co3O4 transistor devices that function as a Co3O4 Li-ion battery. Additive-free Co3O4 NPs were assembled into a Li-ion battery, allowing us to isolate and explore the effects of the Co and Li2O formation/decomposition conversion reactions on the electrical and structural degradation within Co3O4 NP films. NP films ranging between a single monolayer and multilayered film hundreds of nanometers thick prepared with blade-coating and electrophoretic deposition methods, respectively, were embedded in the transistor devices for in situ conduction measurements as a function of battery cycles. During battery operation, the electronic and structural properties of Co3O4 NP films in the bulk, Co3O4/electrolyte, and Co3O4/current collector interfaces were spatially mapped to address the origin of the initial irreversible capacity loss from the first lithiation process. Further, change in carrier injection/extraction between the current collector and the Co3O4 NPs was explored using a modified electrochemical transistor device with multiple voltage probes along the electrical channel.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.