Leaves of Persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) Ameliorate N-Methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU)-Induced Retinal Degeneration in Mice
- Leaves of Persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) Ameliorate N-Methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU)-Induced Retinal Degeneration in Mice
- 김경아; 강석우; 안홍열; 송영우; Sung Jae Yang; 정상훈
- Diospyros kaki; N-methyl-N-nitrosourea; persimmon; photoreceptor; retinal degeneration
- Issue Date
- Journal of agricultural and food chemistry
- VOL 63, NO 35, 7750-7759
- The purpose of the study was to investigate the protective effects of the ethanol extract of Diospyros kaki (EEDK) persimmon leaves to study N-methyl-N-nitrosourea (MNU)-induced retinal degeneration in mice. EEDK was orally administered after MNU injection. Retinal layer thicknesses were significantly increased in the EEDK-treated group compared with the MNU-treated group. The outer nuclear layer was preserved in the retinas of EEDK-treated mice. Moreover, EEDK
treatment reduced the MNU-dependent up-regulation of glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) and nestin expression in Müller and astrocyte cells. EEDK treatment also inhibited MNU-dependent down-regulation of rhodopsin expression. Quercetin exposure significantly attenuated the negative effects of H2O2 in R28 cells, suggesting that quercetin can act in an antioxidative capacity. Thus, EEDK may be considered as an agent for treating or preventing degenerative retinal diseases, such as retinitis pigmentosa and age-related macular degeneration.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.