Effect of 1-Deoxy-D-Xylulose 5-Phosphate Synthase (DXS) Gene Overexpression in Fucoxanthin Biosynthesis of Marine Diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum
- Effect of 1-Deoxy-D-Xylulose 5-Phosphate Synthase (DXS) Gene Overexpression in Fucoxanthin Biosynthesis of Marine Diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum
- 정유진; 신복규; 권벼리; 판철호; 김상민
- haeodactylum tricornutum; 1-deoxy-d-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase; transformants; fucoxanthin; diatom
- Issue Date
- 2015년도 한국응용생명화학회 천연물분과 심포지엄
- Phaeodactylum tricornutum is a diatom which contains fucoxanthin as a main carotenoid pigment. In algae, fucoxanthin is synthesized via the methylerythritol phosphate (MEP) and carotenoid pathway. However, the mechanism and regulation of fucoxanthin biosynthesis has remained
unclear until now. In this study, we developed nuclear transformants of P. tricornutum by metabolic engineering in order to increase fucoxanthin biosynthesis. We assumed that 1-deoxy-D-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase gene of P. tricornutum (PtDXS) is the best target for the increase of fucoxanthin biosynthesis because this step has been known as initial regulation point of the MEP and carotenoid pathway in plant. After introducing PtDXS gene into P. tricornutum cells by using the bombardment technique, we obtained two stable transformants. RT-PCR result showed that transcript level of PtDXS gene in one transformant was significantly increased compared to wild type. However, fucoxanthin content of that transformant was not increased up to the level of PtDXS transcript change, but showed slight increase. Further studies are needed to demonstrate the correlation between DXS gene expression and fucoxanthin biosynthesis.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Conference Paper
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.