Layered-Layered-Spinel Cathode Materials Prepared by a High-Energy Ball-Milling Process for Lithium-ion Batteries
- Layered-Layered-Spinel Cathode Materials Prepared by a High-Energy Ball-Milling Process for Lithium-ion Batteries
- 김수; 노재교; Muratahan Aykol; Zhi Lu; 김해식; 최원창; 김천중; 정경윤; Chris Wolverton; 조병원
- lithium-ion battery; three-component electrode; layered-layered-spinel cathode; high-energy ball-milling process; nanocomposite
- Issue Date
- ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- VOL 8, NO 1, 363-370
- In this work, we report the electrochemical properties of 0.5Li2MnO3·0.25LiNi0.5Co0.2Mn0.3O2·0.25LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 and 0.333Li2MnO3·0.333LiNi0.5Co0.2Mn0.3O2·0.333LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 layered-layered-spinel (L*LS) cathode materials prepared by a high-energy ball-milling process. Our L*LS cathode materials can deliver a large and stable capacity of ∼200 mAh g−1 at high voltages up to 4.9 V, and do not show the anomalous capacity increase upon cycling observed in previously reported three-component cathode materials synthesized with different routes. Furthermore, we have performed synchrotron-based in situ X-ray diffraction measurements and found that there are no significant structural distortions during charge/discharge runs. Lastly, we carry out (opt-type) van der Waals-corrected density functional theory (DFT) calculations to explain the enhanced cycle characteristics and reduced phase transformations in our ball-milled L*LS cathode materials. Our simple synthesis method brings a new perspective on the use of the high-power L*LS cathodes in practical devices.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.