Extrinsic Calibration of 2-D Lidars Using Two Orthogonal Planes
- Extrinsic Calibration of 2-D Lidars Using Two Orthogonal Planes
- 김준식; 최동걸; 복윤수; 권인소
- Calibration; Orthogonal planes; 2-D Lidar
- Issue Date
- IEEE transactions on robotics
- VOL 32, NO 1, 83-98
- This paper describes a new methodology for estimating the relative pose between two 2-D lidars. Scanned points of 2-D lidars do not have enough feature information for correspondence matching. For this reason, additional image sensors or artificial landmarks at known locations have been used to find the relative pose. We propose a novel method of estimating the relative pose between 2-D lidars without any additional sensors or artificial landmarks. By scanning two orthogonal planes, we utilize the coplanarity of the scan points on each plane and the orthogonality of the plane normals. Even if we capture planes which are not exactly orthogonal, the method provides good results using nonlinear optimization. Experiments with both synthetic and real data show the validity of the proposed method. We also derive two degenerate cases: one related to plane poses, and the other caused by the relative pose. To the best of our knowledge, this study provides the first solution for the problem.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.