Synergetically Selective Toluene Sensing in Hematite-Decorated Nickel Oxide Nanocorals
- Synergetically Selective Toluene Sensing in Hematite-Decorated Nickel Oxide Nanocorals
- 강종윤; 김철기; 심영석; 정영모; 서정민; 김도홍; 손원배; 이선용; 최석훈; 전종명; 홍구탁; 권기창; 박서윤; 이종흔; 장호원; Yeon Hoo Kim
- Issue Date
- Advanced materials technologies
- VOL 2, NO 3-1600259-10
- The decoration of p-type nickel oxide (NiO) with n-type hematite (α-Fe2O3) to achieve vertically ordered 1D nanostructures is an attractive strategy to enhance gas sensing properties. Herein, the authors report a facile method for α-Fe2O3 decoration of the whole surface of vertical NiO nanorods. An NiO/Fe heterostructure is deposited in multiple steps using a glancing angle deposition method, which is followed by the oxidation of Fe into α-Fe2O3. Thermally agglomerated α-Fe2O3 nanoparticles are uniformly distributed on the whole surface of the NiO nanorods. Due to the α-Fe2O3 decoration, the NiO nanorods exhibit a coral-like rough surface and, more interestingly, their preferential crystallographic orientation changed from (111) to (200). Compared to bare NiO nanorods, the α-Fe2O3-decorated NiO nanocorals exhibit a 45.4 times higher response to 50 ppm toluene (C7H8) at 350 °C. Their theoretical detection limit for C7H8 is calculated to be ≈ 22 ppb. The observed unprecedented synergetic effects of α-Fe2O3-decorated NiO nanocorals for the extremely selective C7H8 sensing, as well as their facile synthetic route, establish a new perspective on heterostructured metal oxide 1D nanostructures for selective gas sensing.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.