Tunichrome-inspired gold-enrichment dispersion matrix and its application in water treatment: A proof of concept investigation
- Tunichrome-inspired gold-enrichment dispersion matrix and its application in water treatment: A proof of concept investigation
- 채근화; Jitendra Pal Singh; Amarendra Dhar Dwivedi; Rega Permana; Hakwon Yoon; Yoon-Seok Chang; Dong Soo Hwang
- Tunicate; Gold-Enrichment; Water Treatment
- Issue Date
- ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- VOL 9, NO 23-19824
- Tunicate, a filter-feeder in seawater, is able to accumulate high amount of metals using intracellular polymer matrices. The woven pyrogallol structures of tunichrome, a small peptide contained in tunicate's blood; Cells, is believed to, be responsible for selective. metal sequestration in tunicates from seawater. However, the intriguing tunichrome matrix is difficult both to harvest from the tunicate and to synthesize massively due to the-extreme oxidation sensitivity of the pyrogallol, moiety which limits the study scope. Here, we succeeded to mimic tunichrome by conjugating two cheap and naturally occurring components: pyrogallol-5-carboxylic acid (gallic acid) and chitin. nanofiber A tunicate-mimetic infiltration matrix of surface-tailored chitin nanofibers with pyrogallol moieties (CGa) demonstrated the versatility of this strategy in generation of ingenious filtration material, especially for unprecedented fine and-Clean gold recovery inside of the tunicate-mimetic infiltration matrix (>99%, 533 mg gold per gram weight), which exceeds that of the,presently most popular materials. Complexation between pyrogallol on the nanofiber and gold-was similar to that of a tunichrome's metal sequestration. Extended X-ray absorption fine Structure, (EXAFS); spectroscopy and data-fitting, elucidated the decreased coordination numbers for Au-Au nearest neighbors, demonstrating that gold coordinated to pyrogallol units, followed by an intramolecular association of Au-0. A catalytic reduction of 4-nitrophenol mediated by the-tunicate-mimetic matrix with harvested gold revealed excellent recyclability up to 30 cycles (similar to 95% reduction), which together with methylene-blue reduction and antimicrobial performances indicates the versatile characteristics,of sustainable processes by the tunichrome mimetics. This strategy opens the door for fast-developing new biomimetic alternatives for precious metal recovery, which is not re
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.