Anti-oxidative and Anti-microbial Activities of Purified MPN-1-1 from Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe
- Anti-oxidative and Anti-microbial Activities of Purified MPN-1-1 from Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe
- 양승훈; 양웅석; 이재용; 장승호; 김철호; 황철원
- Anti-microbial activity; Anti-oxidative activity; MPN-1-1; Natural product; Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe
- Issue Date
- Current pharmaceutical biotechnology
- VOL 18, NO 7-559
- Background: Persicaria is a genus of flowering plants generally used for traditional medicine and nutritional supplements in tropical and subtropical East Asian countries. Previous studies have shown that Persicaria extracts alleviate lipid peroxidation, hypertension, and inflammation. Objective: We investigated the anti-oxidative and anti-microbial effects of ethanol extracts of Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe, and isolated and identified an active compound, MPN-1-1 from the ethanol extracts. Results: Anti-oxidative values, as indicated by the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) assay, were enhanced by treatment with Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe ethanol extracts, and bacterial growth was inhibited. The active compound (MPN-1-1), which was further isolated and purified from a Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe ethanol extract by medium pressure liquid chromatography (MPLC), also had strong anti-oxidative and anti-microbial activity. 1H-NMR spectroscopy identified MPN-1-1 as a 1-ethenyl-4,8-dimethoxy-9H-pyrido(3,4-β) indole compound, which is an alkaloid. Conclusions: Our results provide evidence that Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) Miyabe extract has strong physiological activity without any toxic effects, and furthermore, MPN-1-1 can be potentially utilized as a natural dietary supplement as well as an anti-oxidant.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.