Pretreatment by selective ion-implantation for epitaxial lateral overgrowth of GaN on patterned sapphire substrate
- Pretreatment by selective ion-implantation for epitaxial lateral overgrowth of GaN on patterned sapphire substrate
- 고형덕; Dae-sik Kim; Woo Seop Jeong; Jae-Sang Lee; Dongjin Byun
- Ion-implantation; Patterned sapphire substrate; Gallium nitride; Epitaxial lateral overgrowth; Metal organic chemical vapor deposition
- Issue Date
- Thin solid films
- VOL 641, NO S1-7
- Epitaxial lateral overgrowth (ELO) process of gallium nitride (GaN) films on cone-shaped patterned sapphire substrate (PSS), which was pretreated by ion-implantation was performed by using a metal organic chemical vapor deposition. A 250-nm-thick silicon dioxide (SiO2) mask was covered on the planar surface of the PSS to protect them from ion-implantation damages, whereas the cone-shaped patterns of the PSS were exposed to collide with the N+ ions. The ion-implantation pretreatment was selectively carried out on the cone-shaped pattern of PSS at 67.5 keV with a high dose of 5 x 1017 cm(-2). As a result of ion-implantation pretreatment, nucleation growth of GaN poly-grains was inhibited on the cone-shaped patterns with various crystal planes, such as c-like plane, R-like plane, and n-like plane. Surface roughness and crystal quality of GaN films grown on ion-implanted PSS were improved owing to the inhibition of nucleation growth on the patterns. The ion-implantation pretreatment is a very promising technique in the ELO process of GaN on an uneven substrate such as a cone-shaped PSS that includes various crystal planes.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.