Improved performance of molten carbonate fuel cells with (Li/Na)2CO3 electrolytes by using BYS coated cathode at low operating temperatures
- Improved performance of molten carbonate fuel cells with (Li/Na)2CO3 electrolytes by using BYS coated cathode at low operating temperatures
- 윤성필; 한종희; 함형철; 강민구; Chang-Whan Lee; Byeong Wan Kwon; Young Jin Kim; Min Chul Lee
- Wettability; Molten carbonate fuel cell (MCFC); Cathode; BYS
- Issue Date
- International journal of hydrogen energy
- VOL 42, NO 29-18523
- In order to improve the stack life time of MCFCs, it is necessary to reduce the operating temperature of MCFCs below 600 degrees C, because reduced operating temperature minimizes electrolyte loss due to evaporation and corrosion. However, at the low operating temperature below 600 degrees C, the cell performance of MCFCs with (Li/Na)(2)CO3 electrolyte is too low to operate the fuel cell stack and system. In this study, we have performed wettability control of the liquid molten carbonate electrolyte by coating NiO cathodes with poor wetting property of the mixed ionic and electronic conductor (MIEC) such as BYS (Bi1.5Y0.3Sm0.3O3-delta). From experiments with symmetrical cells, each polarization component with various temperatures and gas conditions were studied. To investigate effects of the BYS coated cathode on the performance of MCFCs, a 100 cm(2) single cell of MCFCs was employed. The performance of a 100 cm(2) single cell with BYS coated cathode was better than that with conventional cathode by a factor of 1.84, because BYS coated cathode reduces activation polarization and mass transfer resistance greatly.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.