Preparation of mesoporous carbon templated by silica particle for use as a catalyst support of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell
- Preparation of mesoporous carbon templated by silica particle for use as a catalyst support of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell
- 김종식; Ji Bong Joo; Pil Kim; Wooyoung Kim; Yi, Jongheop
- Mesoporous; Carbon; Mesoporosity; Oxygen reduction; Fuel cell
- Issue Date
- Catalysis today
- VOL 111, NO 3-4-175
- Mesoporous carbons were prepared using commercial silica particles and a formaldehyde-resorcinol resin as a template and carbon precursor, respectively. By changing the molar ratio of template to carbon precursor, mesoporous carbons with different mesoporosities (MC-X, X represents the molar ratio of template to carbon precursor) were produced. The resulting MCs had a high-surface area and large pore volume. In particular, the highest mesoporosity was observed for MC-3. Pt catalysts-supported on MC-X were prepared using formaldehyde as a reducing agent for use as a cathode catalyst in a polymer electrolyte fuel cell (PEMFC). The size of Pt crystallite was dependent on the properties of corresponding carbon support. As a whole, a carbon support with a high-surface area and high-mesoporosity served the best in terms of a high-dispersion of Pt nanoparticles. In a unit cell test of the PEMFC, a Pt catalyst with a high-mesoporosity and fine dispersion of metal showed an enhanced performance. The findings indicate that the surface area combined with the mesoporosity had a positive influence on the metal dispersion and the distribution of ionomer, leading to the enhanced cell performance.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.