Inhibitory Effects of Ethanolic Extracts from Aster glehni on Xanthine Oxidase and Content Determination of Bioactive Components Using HPLC-UV
- Inhibitory Effects of Ethanolic Extracts from Aster glehni on Xanthine Oxidase and Content Determination of Bioactive Components Using HPLC-UV
- 진창배; 김형자; 강동현; 한은혜
- Aster glehni; xanthine oxidase inhibitor; 3,5-dicaffeoylquinic acid; quantitative determination; health functional foods
- Issue Date
- 한국식품영양과학회지 (Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition)
- VOL 45, NO 11-1616
- This study aimed to establish an optimal extraction process and high performance liquid chromatography-ultraviolet (HPLC-UV) analytical method for determination of 3,5-dicaffeoylquinic acid (3,5-DCQA) as a part of materials standardization for the development of a xanthine oxidase inhibitor as a health functional food. The quantitative determination method of 3,5-DCQA as a marker compound was optimized by HPLC analysis using a Luna RP-18 column, and the correlation coefficient for the calibration curve showed good linearity of more than 0.9999 using a gradient eluent of water (1% acetic acid) and methanol as the mobile phase at a flow rate of 1.0 mL/min and a detection wavelength of 320 nm. The HPLC-UV method was applied successfully to quantification of the marker compound (3,5-DCQA) in Aster glehni extracts after validation of the method with linearity, accuracy, and precision. Ethanolic extracts of A. glehni (AGEs) were evaluated by reflux extraction at 70 and 80°C with 30, 50, 70, and 80% ethanol for 3, 4, 5, and 6 h, respectively. Among AGEs, 70% AGE at 70°C showed the highest content of 3,5-DCQA of 52.59±3.45 mg/100 g A. glehni. Furthermore, AGEs were analyzed for their inhibitory activities on uric acid production by the xanthine/xanthine oxidase system. The 70% AGE at 70°C showed the most potent inhibitory activity with IC50 values of 77.01±3.13∼89.96±3.08 μg/mL. The results suggest that standardization of 3,5-DCQA in AGEs using HPLC-UV analysis would be an acceptable method for the development of health functional foods.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.