Strategic combination of Grignard reagents and allyl-functionalized ionic liquids as an advanced electrolyte for rechargeable magnesium batteries
- Strategic combination of Grignard reagents and allyl-functionalized ionic liquids as an advanced electrolyte for rechargeable magnesium batteries
- 조병원; 오시형; 나수빈; 이보은; 조재현; 서효리; 김종학; 임태은
- Grignard reagents; allyl; ionic liquids; electrolyte; rechargeable magnesium battery
- Issue Date
- Journal of materials chemistry. A, Materials for energy and sustainability
- VOL 6, NO 7-3133
- Ionic liquids are effective additives in terms of improving the key electrolyte properties including the ionic conductivity and the oxidative solubility of Grignard reagent-based electrolytes for rechargeable magnesium batteries. However, a precise understanding of their working mechanisms remains elusive to date. Here, we unravel for the first time the mechanism behind the drastic improvement of key electrolyte properties of Grignard reagents upon the addition of allyl-functionalized pyrrolidinium-based ionic liquids. We show that the Grignard reagents selectively abstract acidic protons in the allyl functional group to create a series of Mg-complexes that are remarkably stabilized by the formation of resonance structures. Moreover, the properties of the resulting electrolytes are tuned by adjusting the molar concentration of the ionic liquids which determines the chemical reaction pathway for the formation of new Mg-complexes. Overall, this study demonstrates a novel strategic approach for developing highly efficient new electrolyte systems for rechargeable magnesium batteries.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.