Topological Insulators for Mode-Locking of 2-μm Fiber Lasers
- Topological Insulators for Mode-Locking of 2-μm Fiber Lasers
- 전영민; Young In Jhon; Jinho Lee; Ju Han Lee
- Topological Insulator; 2 um; Fiber Laser; Mode-Locking
- Issue Date
- IEEE journal on selected topics in quantum electronics
- VOL 24, NO 5-8
- We performed density functional theory calculations for the topological insulators (TIs) of Bi2 Se3 and CoSb3 (skutterudite) in a comparison with Bi2 Te3 and In2Co4Sb12 (filled skutterudite) to explore whether the former TIs can serve as saturable-absorptionmaterials for lasermode-locking at the wavelengths of 2 μm and beyond. The calculated electronic-band structures and optical-absorption spectra indicate the potential of these TIs in terms of midinfrared saturable-absorption applications. Especially, in consideration of the film and bulk forms of Bi2 Se3 and Bi2 Te3 , we investigated the electronic and/or optical properties of the metallic surface states and the semiconducting interior states, respectively. They exhibited an excellent broadband operability regardless of the state, and particularly, we noted a linearly dispersive relation around the Fermi levels of all of the electrons of the Bi2 Se3 surface in both the conduction and valence bands, whereas this is not evident for Bi2 Te3 . Assuming the importance of linear dispersion for a fast electronic relaxation, and considering the decent oxidation resistance of the Bi2 Se3 surface, we suggest that Bi2 Se3 is superior to Bi2 Te3 for midinfrared mode-locking. A review of the experimental studies regarding TI-based 2-μm saturable absorbers that have been performed so far is presented, and the discussion and rationalization of the possible universality of TIs regarding mid- to far-infrared passive mode lockers results in the suggestion of a newCoSb3 -TI-based saturable absorber.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.