Ultimate limit in size and performance of WSe2 vertical diodes
- Ultimate limit in size and performance of WSe2 vertical diodes
- 황준연; 이동수; 김경수; Ghazanfar Nazir; 김학성; 김지환; 신동훈; Muhammad Farooq Khan; 황찬용; 서준호; 엄종화; 정수용
- 2D materials; Vertical diode; Schottky emission; p-i-n diode; current rectification
- Issue Date
- Nature Communications
- VOL 9-5371-9
- Precise doping-profile engineering in van der Waals heterostructures is a key element to promote optimal device performance in various electrical and optical applications with twodimensional layered materials. Here, we report tungsten diselenide- (WSe2) based pure vertical diodes with atomically defined p-, i- and n-channel regions. Externally modulated p- and n-doped layers are respectively formed on the bottom and the top facets of WSe2 single crystals by direct evaporations of high and low work-function metals platinum and gadolinium, thus forming atomically sharp p– i– n heterojunctions in the homogeneous WSe2 layers. As the number of layers increases, charge transport through the vertical WSe2 p– n heterojunctions is characterized by a series of quantum tunneling events; direct tunneling, Fowler– Nordheim tunneling, and Schottky emission tunneling. With optimally selected WSe2 thickness, our vertical heterojunctions show superb diode characteristics of an unprecedentedly high current density and low turn-on voltages while maintaining good current rectification.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.