Synergistically enhanced osteoconductivity and anti-inflammation of PLGA/β-TCP/Mg (OH) 2 composite for orthopedic applications
- Synergistically enhanced osteoconductivity and anti-inflammation of PLGA/β-TCP/Mg (OH) 2 composite for orthopedic applications
- 정윤기; 한철민; 이슬기; 박우람; 김익환; 한동근
- Issue Date
- Materials science and engineering C : materials for biological applications
- VOL 94-75
- Synthetic biodegradable polymers including poly(lactide-co-glycolide) (PLGA) have been widely used as alternatives to metallic implantable materials in the orthopedic field due to their superior biocompatibility and biodegradability. However, weak mechanical properties of the biodegradable polymers and inflammatory reaction caused by the acidic degradation products have limited their biomedical applications. In this study, we have developed a PLGA composite containing beta-tricalcium phosphate (β-TCP) and magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2) as additives to improve mechanical, osteoconductivity, and anti-inflammation property of the biopolymer composite simultaneously. The β-TCP has an osteoconductive effect and the Mg(OH)2 has a pH neutralizing effect. The PLGA/inorganic composites were uniformly blended via a twin extrusion process. The mechanical property of the PLGA/β-TCP/Mg(OH)2 composite was improved compared to the pure PLGA. In particular, the addition of Mg(OH)2 suppressed the inflammatory reaction of normal human osteoblast (NHOst) cells and also inhibited the differentiation of pre-osteoclastic cells into osteoclasts. Moreover, synergistically upregulated late osteogenic differentiation of NHOst cells was observed on the PLGA/β-TCP/Mg(OH)2 composite. Taken all together, we believe that the use of β-TCP and Mg(OH)2 as additives with synthetic biodegradable polymers has great potential by the synergistic effect in orthopedic applications.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.