Mechanochemical synthesis of Ce3Al11 powder and its catalytic effect on the hydrogen sorption properties of NaAlH4
- Mechanochemical synthesis of Ce3Al11 powder and its catalytic effect on the hydrogen sorption properties of NaAlH4
- 심재혁; 이영수; 최종관; 하태준; 박지혜; 한흥남; 이준호
- Hydrogen storage; Complex metal hydride; NaAlH4; Catalyst; Ce3Al11; Ball milling; Mechanochemical synthesis; Volume expansion; Hydrogenation; Dehydrogenation
- Issue Date
- Journal of alloys and compounds
- VOL 784, NO 1-318
- Mechanochemical synthesis of the Ce3Al11 powder was performed through a reaction among CeCl3, AlCl3 and NaH powders. α-Ce3Al11 particles with an average size of 250  nm were obtained. The catalytic effect of the synthesized Ce3Al11 on the hydrogen sorption properties of NaAlH4 was investigated. The hydrogen absorption kinetics of NaAlH4 with Ce3Al11 was significantly enhanced and the hydrogen capacity was improved compared to those properties of NaAlH4 with CeCl3. This can be attributed to the fine distribution of the Ce3Al11 catalyst in NaAlH4 during ball milling. Although the volume of the NaAlH4 pellets generally tends to increase during the hydrogen sorption cycles, the volume expansion of the pellet of NaAlH4 with Ce3Al11 was relatively low with a small pore fraction compared to that of the pellet of NaAlH4 with conventional chloride catalysts such as CeCl3, TiCl3 and TiCl4. The use of a nonchloride catalyst appears to provide an effective approach for suppressing the volume expansion of NaAlH4 pellets during the hydrogen sorption cycles.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.