Enhanced perpendicular magnetocrystalline anisotropy energy in an artificial magnetic material with bulk spin-momentum coupling
- Enhanced perpendicular magnetocrystalline anisotropy energy in an artificial magnetic material with bulk spin-momentum coupling
- 김경환; Abdul-Muizz Pradipto; Kay Yakushiji; 함우승; 김상훈; Yoichi Shiota; Takahiro Moriyama; 이현우; Kohji Nakamura; 이경진; Teruo Ono
- 자기이방성; 비대칭성; 인공초격자; 스핀-궤도 결합
- Issue Date
- Physical review B, Condensed matter and materials physics
- VOL 99-180410
- We systematically investigate the perpendicular magnetocrystalline anisotropy (MCA) in Co-Pt/Pd-based multilayers. Our magnetic measurement data show that the asymmetric Co/Pd/Pt multilayer has a significantly larger perpendicular magnetic anisotropy (PMA) energy compared to the symmetric Co/Pt and Co/Pd multilayer samples. We further support this experiment by first-principles calculations on CoPt2, CoPd2, and CoPtPd, which are composite bulk materials that consist of three atomic layers in a unit cell, Pt/Co/Pt, Pd/Co/Pd, and Pt/Co/Pd, respectively. By estimating the contribution of bulk spin-momentum coupling to the MCA energy, we
show that the CoPtPd multilayer with symmetry breaking has a significantly larger PMA energy than the other multilayers that are otherwise similar but lack symmetry breaking. This observation thus provides evidence of the PMA enhancement due to the structural inversion symmetry breaking and highlights the asymmetric CoPtPd as an artificial magnetic material with bulk spin-momentum coupling, which opens a pathway toward the design of materials with strong PMA.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.