A study on electrode fabrication and operation variables affecting the performance of anion exchange membrane water electrolysis
- A study on electrode fabrication and operation variables affecting the performance of anion exchange membrane water electrolysis
- 김형준; 장종현; 헨켄스마이어디억; 유성종; 김진영; 박현서; 이소영; 임아연; Yung-Eun Sung
- Anion exchange membrane water electrolysis; membrane electrode assembly; electrolyzer operation; electrocatalysis
- Issue Date
- Journal of industrial and engineering chemistry
- VOL 76-418
- Polymer electrolyte membrane water electrolysis has been proposed to address production of high purity hydrogen for storage of excess renewable energy. Among them, alkaline electrolyte membrane based water electrolysis (AEMWE) has an advantage in the aspect of material costs, e.g. from non-noble catalysts and membrane, but suffers from lower performance compared to proton exchange membrane based water electrolysis (PEMWE). However, there are fewer researches on single cell MEA and operation study compared to material research to enhance AEMWE performance. Here, we analyze the effect of the cell construction and operation factors, i.e MEA pressing, torque of cell assembly, electrolyte pre-feed methods, and operation temperature, to obtain high performance in AEMWE single cell operation. 97.5 % current improves at 1.8  V by applying optimized torque. 94 % decrease of ohmic resistance are achieved from electrolyte pre-feeding. 50  mA cm− 2 of current density is enhanced at 0.591  V of overvoltage per 10  °C temperature increase due to higher ionic conductivity and reaction kinetics. These factors significantly affect internal factors such as not only material property during operation but also, catalysts structure and contact in MEA, leading 4.3 times progress of current density from 0.242 to 1.045  A cm− 2 at 1.8  Vcell.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.