Multi-redox Molecule for High-Energy RedoxFlow Batteries
- Multi-redox Molecule for High-Energy RedoxFlow Batteries
- 황진연; 홍지현; 권기윤; 이세찬; 심현수; 이병주; 이명환; 고영민; 정성균; 구교진; 강기석
- 에너지소재; 에너지저장; 유기물소재; 전기화학; 레독스흐름전지
- Issue Date
- VOL 2-1782
- Redox flow batteries (RFBs) are some of the most promising energy storage systems because of their design flexibility; however, their low energy density is a major drawback limiting widespread application. Most conventional approaches to increase the energy density have involved exploiting high-concentration electrolytes. However, this approach results in many technical issues, such as sluggish kinetics. We propose a strategy of boosting the energy density by exploiting a multi-redox phenazine molecule (5,10-dihydro-5,10-dimethyl phenazine [DMP]). DMPZ exhibits double-redox activity at 0.15 and 0.61 V versus Ag/Ag+ with remarkable kinetics and chemical stability. Coupled with 9-fluorenone (FL), the DMPZ/FL flow cell can provide the highest energy density permole (z85Whrmol1) ever reported for RFBs. Furthermore, the marked color change of DMPZ enables the state of charge to be precisely visualized. This novel strategy for a multi-redox material can provide a potential pathway toward high-energy-density RFBs.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.