Microelectromechanical-system-based condensation particle counter for real-time monitoring of airborne ultrafine particles
- Microelectromechanical-system-based condensation particle counter for real-time monitoring of airborne ultrafine particles
- 강동현; Hong-Beom Kwon; Ui-Seon Hong; Seong-Jae Yoo; Sang-Myun Lee; Jangseop Han; Jungho Hawang; Yong-Jun Kim
- Issue Date
- Atmospheric Measurement Tecniques
- VOL 12-5345
- m) droplets. Our system measured the UFP number concentration with high accuracy (mean difference within 4.1  %), and the number concentration range for which our system can count single particles is 7.99– 6850  cm− 3. Thus, our system has the potential to be used for UFP monitoring in various environments (e.g., as an air filtration system, in high-precision industries utilizing clean rooms, and in indoor and outdoor atmospheres).; We present a portable, inexpensive, and accurate microelectromechanical-system-based (MEMS-based) condensation particle counter (CPC) for sensitive and precise monitoring of airborne ultrafine particles (UFPs) at a point of interest. A MEMS-based CPC consists of two main parts: a MEMS-based condensation chip that grows UFPs to micro-sized droplets and a miniature optical particle counter (OPC) that counts single grown droplets with the light scattering method. A conventional conductive cooling-type CPC is miniaturized through MEMS technology and three-dimensional (3-D) printing techniques; the essential elements for growing droplets are integrated on a single glass slide. Our system is much more compact (75  mm  ×  130  50  mm), lightweight (205  g), and power-efficient (2.7  W) than commercial CPCs. In quantitative experiments, the results indicated that our system could detect UFPs with a diameter of 12.9  nm by growing them to micro-sized (3.1  µ
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.