Creation and annihilation of topological meron pairs in in-plane magnetized films
- Creation and annihilation of topological meron pairs in in-plane magnetized films
- 최준우; N. Gao; S.-G. Je; M.-Y. Im; M. Yang; Q. Li; T.Y. Wang; S. Lee; H.-S. Han; K.-S. Lee; W. Chao; C. Hwang; J. Li; Z.Q. Qiu
- topological spin structures
- Issue Date
- Nature Communications
- VOL 10, 5603
- Merons which are topologically equivalent to one-half of skyrmions can exist only in pairs or groups in two-dimensional (2D) ferromagnetic (FM) systems. The recent discovery of meron lattice in chiral magnet Co8Zn9Mn3 raises the immediate challenging question that whether a single meron pair, which is the most fundamental topological structure in any 2D meron systems, can be created and stabilized in a continuous FM film? Utilizing winding number conservation, we develop a new method to create and stabilize a single pair of merons in a continuous Py film by local vortex imprinting from a Co disk. By observing the created meron pair directly within a magnetic field, we determine its topological structure unambiguously and explore the topological effect in its creation and annihilation processes. Our work opens a pathway towards developing and controlling topological structures in general magnetic systems without the restriction of perpendicular anisotropy and Dzyaloshinskii– Moriya interaction.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.