Nonlinear optical properties of arsenic telluride and its use in ultrafast fiber lasers
- Nonlinear optical properties of arsenic telluride and its use in ultrafast fiber lasers
- 전영민; Jinho Lee; Young In Jhon; Ju Han Lee
- Nonlinear optical properties; arsenic telluride; ultrafast fiber lasers
- Issue Date
- Scientific Reports
- VOL 10, 15305
- We report the frst investigation results of the nonlinear optical properties of As2Te3. More specifcally, the nonlinear optical absorption properties of the prepared α-As2Te3 were investigated at wavelengths of 1.56 and 1.9 μm using the open-aperture (OA) Z-scan technique. Using the OA Z-scan technique, the nonlinear absorption coefcients (β) of α-As2Te3 were estimated in a range from (− 54.8 ± 3.4) × 104 cm/ GW to (− 4.9 ± 0.4) × 104 cm/GW depending on the irradiance of the input beam at 1.56 μm, whereas the values did from (− 19.8 ± 0.8) × 104 cm/GW to (− 3.2 ± 0.1) × 104 cm/GW at 1.9 μm. In particular, the β value at 1.56 μm is an order of magnitude larger than the previously reported values of other group15 sesquichalcogenides such as Bi2Se3, Bi2Te3, and Bi2TeSe2. Furthermore, this is the frst time report on β value of a group-15 sesquichalcogenide at a 1.9-μm wavelength.The density functional theory (DFT) calculations of the electronic band structures of α-As2Te3 were also conducted to obtain a better understanding of their energy band structure.The DFT calculations indicated that α-As2Te3 possess sufcient optical absorption in a wide wavelength region, including 1.5 μm, 1.9 μm, and beyond (up to 3.7 μm). Using both the measured nonlinear absorption coefcients and the theoretically obtained refractive indices from the DFT calculations, the imaginary parts of the third-order optical susceptibilities (Im χ(3)) of As2Te3 were estimated and they were found to vary from (− 39 ± 2.4) × 10– 19 m2 /V2 to (− 3.5 ± 0.3) × 10– 19 m2 /V2 at 1.56 μm and (− 16.5 ± 0.7) × 10– 19 m2 /V2 to (− 2.7 ± 0.1) × 10– 19 m2 /V2 at 1.9 μm, respectively, depending on the irradiance of the input beam. Finally, the feasibility of using α-As2Te3 for SAs was investigated, and the prepared SAs were thus tested by incorpora
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.