Ergostane-type steroids from Korean wild mushroom Xerula furfuracea that control adipocyte and osteoblast differentiation
- Ergostane-type steroids from Korean wild mushroom Xerula furfuracea that control adipocyte and osteoblast differentiation
- 김진철; 이승락; 최진희; 류림; 방창현; 김선희; 김기현
- Issue Date
- Journal of microbiology and biotechnology
- VOL 30, NO 11-1776
- As part of our current projects to discover structurally and/or biologically novel compounds from Korean wild mushrooms, we isolated five ergostane-type steroids (1-5) from the fruiting bodies of Xerula furfuracea via repeated column chromatographic separations and HPLC purification. The chemical structures of the isolated steroids were shown to be (22E,24R)-24-methylcholesta-4,22-diene-3,6-dione (1), ergosta-7,22-diene-3β,5α,6β-triol (2), ergosta-7,22-diene-3β,5α,6β,9α-tetraol (3), (22E,24R)-5α,8α-epidioxyergosta-6,22-diene-3β-ol-3-O-β-D-glucopyranoside (4), and (22E,24R)-5α,8α-epidioxyergosta-6,9,22-triene-3β-ol-3-O-β-D-glucopyranoside (5) based on comparing the data regarding their spectroscopic and physical properties with those of previous studies. Notably, this is the first report of the presence of the identified steroids (1-5) in this mushroom. Compounds 1-5 were then tested to determine their effects on adipogenesis and osteogenesis in the mouse mesenchymal stem cell line C3H10T1/2. We found that compounds 4 and 5 suppressed the differentiation of stem cells into adipocytes. Notably, in addition to its suppressive effect on adipogenesis, compound 5 was also shown to promote the osteogenic differentiation of stem cells. These findings demonstrate that the bioactive compounds isolated might be effective for the treatment of menopause-associated syndromes, such as osteoporosis and obesity, as the isolated compounds were shown to suppress adipogenesis and/or promote osteogenesis of stem cells.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.