In vivo tracking of 14C thymidine labeled mesenchymal stem cells using ultra？sensitive accelerator mass spectrometry
- In vivo tracking of 14C thymidine labeled mesenchymal stem cells using ultra？sensitive accelerator mass spectrometry
- 유병용; 송종한; 이관호; 오민석; 이슬기; 김시윤; 김은영; 정형민
- AMS; stemcell; tracking; C-14 thymidine; AD-MSC; QPCR
- Issue Date
- Scientific Reports
- VOL 11, NO 1360
- Despite the tremendous advancements made in cell tracking, in vivo imaging and volumetric analysis, it remains difcult to accurately quantify the number of infused cells following stem cell therapy, especially at the single cell level, mainly due to the sensitivity of cells. In this study, we demonstrate the utility of both liquid scintillator counter (LSC) and accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS) in investigating the distribution and quantifcation of radioisotope labeled adipocyte derived mesenchymal stem cells (AD-MSCs) at the single cell level after intravenous (IV) transplantation. We frst show the incorporation of 14C-thymidine (5 nCi/ml, 24.2 ng/ml) into AD-MSCs without afecting key biological characteristics. These cells were then utilized to track and quantify the distribution of AD-MSCs delivered through the tail vein by AMS, revealing the number of AD-MSCs existing within diferent organs per mg and per organ at diferent time points. Notably, the results show that this highly sensitive approach can quantify one cell per mg which efectively means that AD-MSCs can be detected in various tissues at the single cell level. While the signifcance of these cells is yet to be elucidated, we show that it is possible to accurately depict the pattern of distribution and quantify AD-MSCs in living tissue. This approach can serve to incrementally build profles of biodistribution for stem cells such as MSCs which is essential for both research and therapeutic purposes.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.