Triphenyl phosphate as an efficient electrolyte additive for Ni-rich NCM cathode materials
- Triphenyl phosphate as an efficient electrolyte additive for Ni-rich NCM cathode materials
- 오시형; Kwangeun Jung; Taeeun Yim
- triphenyl phosphate; electrolyte additive; NCM; Ni-rich
- Issue Date
- Journal of electrochemical science and technology
- VOL 12, NO 1-73
- Nickel-rich lithium nickel-cobalt-manganese oxides (NCM) are viewed as promising cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries (LIBs); however, their poor cycling performance at high temperature is a critical hurdle preventing expansion of their applications. We propose the use of a functional electrolyte additive, triphenyl phosphate (TPPa), which can form an effective cathode-electrolyte interphase (CEI) layer on the surface of Ni-rich NCM cathode material by electrochemical reactions. Linear sweep voltammetry confirms that the TPPa additive is electrochemically oxidized at around 4.83 V (vs. Li/Li+) and it participates in the formation of a CEI layer on the surface of NCM811 cathode material. During high temperature cycling, TPPa greatly improves the cycling performance of NCM811 cathode material, as a cell cycled with TPPa-containing electrolyte exhibits a retention (133.7 mA h g？1) of 63.5%, while a cell cycled with standard electrolyte shows poor cycling retention (51.3%, 108.3 mA h g？1). Further systematic analyses on recovered NCM811 cathodes demonstrate the effectiveness of the TPPa-based CEI layer in the cell, as electrolyte decomposition is suppressed in the cell cycled with TPPa-containing electrolyte. This confirms that TPPa is effective at increasing the surface stability of NCM811 cathode material because the TPPa-initiated POx-based CEI layer prevents electrolyte decomposition in the cell even at high temperatures.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.