Extract of Polygala tenuifolia, Angelica tenuissima, and Dimocarpus longan Reduces Behavioral Defect and Enhances Autophagy in Experimental Models of Parkinson’s Disease
- Extract of Polygala tenuifolia, Angelica tenuissima, and Dimocarpus longan Reduces Behavioral Defect and Enhances Autophagy in Experimental Models of Parkinson’s Disease
- 김준기; 트란환뉴엔크한; Huan Li; 이창환; 허종현; 김민철; 양현옥
- WIN-1001X; Parkinson's disease; Natural product; 천연물; 파킨슨 질환; Autophagy; 오토파지
- Issue Date
- Neuromolecular medicine
- VOL 23-443
- The 20% ethanol extract of Polygala tenuifolia, Angelica tenuissima, and Dimocarpus longan (WIN-1001X) was derived from a modifed version of Korean traditional herbal formula ‘Chungsimyeolda-tang’ which has been used for the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders. The Parkinson’s disease presents with impaired motor functions and loss of dopaminergic neurons. However, the treatment for Parkinson’s disease is not established until now. This study aims to elucidate the therapeutic advantages of WIN-1001X on animal models of Parkinson’s disease. WIN-1001X administration successfully relieved the Parkinsonism symptoms in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-induced Parkinson’s disease mice tested by rota-rod and pole tests. The loss of tyrosine hydroxylase activities in substantia nigra and striatum was also attenuated by administration of WIN-1001X. In mice with sub-chronical MPTP injections, autophagy-related proteins, such as LC3, beclin-1, mTOR, and p62, were measured using the immunoblot assay. The results were favorable to induction of autophagy after the WIN-1001X administration. WIN-1001X treatment on 6-hydroxydopamine-injected rats also exhibited protective efects against striatal neuronal damage and loss of dopaminergic cells. Such protection is expected to be due to the positive regulation of autophagy by administration of WIN-1001X with confrmation both in vivo and in vitro. In addition, an active compound, onjisaponin B was isolated and identifed from WIN-1001X. Onjisaponin B also showed signifcant autophagosome-inducing efect in human neuroblastoma cell line. Our study suggests that relief of Parkinsonism symptoms and rescue of tyrosine hydroxylase activity in dopaminergic neurons are afected by autophagy enhancing efect of WIN1001X which the onjisaponin B is one of the major components of activity.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.