High-performance multiblock PEMs containing a highly acidic fluorinated-hydrophilic domain for water electrolysis
- High-performance multiblock PEMs containing a highly acidic fluorinated-hydrophilic domain for water electrolysis
- 김형준; So Young Lee; 채지언; 백새얀; 송광호; 박치훈; 이관수
- Issue Date
- Journal of membrane science
- VOL 638, 119694
- 5 k and 10 k, where k represents 103 g mol-1) of hydrophobic segments are used to investigate the effects of the membrane properties compared with those of Nafion® and PAES random copolymer (i.e., BPSH40). Atomic force microscopy images of the BPSH40 and multiblock membranes are shown to agree closely with a mesoscale simulation, thus confirming the importance of the morphological effect upon the transport properties. Moreover, the multiblock copolymer with a higher proportion of hydrophilic segments (10 k？5k) was shown to provide enhanced performance (3.41 A cm-2 at 1.9 V) compared to the multiblock copolymer with equal proportions of hydrophilic and hydrophobic segments (10 k？10 k) due to the greater continuity of nano-sized ionic channels.; The present paper describes the design and evaluation of novel hydrophilic？hydrophobic poly(arylene ether sulfone) (PAES) multiblock copolymers for their synergistic effects upon transport properties and their potential use in proton exchange membrane water electrolysis. The multiblock copolymers are prepared via a coupling reaction between (i) a hydrophilic segment consisting of a disulfonated quinone fluorinated biphenyl group that contains fluorine moieties next to the sulfonated groups to increase the acidity, and (ii) hydrophobic segments composed of non-sulfonated biphenyl sulfone to provide dimensional stability. Two different lengths (molecular weights
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.