Reactions of As(V) with Fe(II) under the Anoxic Conditions
- Reactions of As(V) with Fe(II) under the Anoxic Conditions
- 정우식; 이상훈; 정형근; 김선준; 최재영; 전병훈
- groundwater; arsenic pollution; ferrous iron; arsenate; chemical reduction; 지하수; 비소오염; 2가 철; 5가 비소; 화학적 환원
- Issue Date
- VOL 42, NO 5, 487-494
- The purpose of this study was to investigate the feasibility of As(V) reduction by aqueous Fe(II), and subsequent
As(III) immobilization by the precipitation of As(III) incorporated magnetite-like material [i.e., co-precipitation
of As(III) with Fe(II) and Fe(III)]. Experimental results showed that homogeneous As(V) reduction did not
occur by dissolved Fe(II) at various pH values although the thermodynamic calculation was in favor of the redox
reaction between As(V) and Fe(II) under the given chemical conditions. Similarly, no heterogeneous reduction of
sorbed As(V) by sorbed Fe(II) was observed using synthetic iron (oxy)hydroxide (Goethite, α-FeOOH) at pH 7.
Experimental results for the effect of As(V) on the oxidation of Fe(II) by dissolved oxygen showed that As(V)
inhibited the oxidation of Fe(II). These results indicate that As(V) could be stable in the presence of Fe(II) under
the anoxic or subsurface environments.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.