Theoretical method of selecting number of buckets for the design and verification of a Pelton turbine
- Theoretical method of selecting number of buckets for the design and verification of a Pelton turbine
- 신유환; 박주훈; 김정원; 조인찬; 정진택
- Angle of attack; Pelton turbine; hydraulic machinery design; speed ratio; hydraulics of renewable energy systems; laboratory studies; number of buckets
- Issue Date
- Journal of hydraulic research: Journal de recherches hydrauliques
- VOL 55, NO 5-1354933-11
- In this study, we develop a theoretical formula for determining the optimum number of buckets required for achieving the maximum possible efficiency of a Pelton turbine. In addition, by deriving an improved formula for determining the speed ratio limit at which a missing jet begins, we obtain a valid condition for the selection of the number of buckets. To validate these formulas, we conduct a performance test on a pico-scale Pelton turbine by using runners with different numbers of buckets. The results of the performance test validate both the formula for bucket selection, by confirming that the calculated number of buckets maximizes the efficiency of the Pelton turbine, and the formula for the speed ratio limit.We conduct an additional performance test on a micro-scale Pelton turbine, the results of which also verify the formula for selecting the number of buckets. This study should help researchers determine the appropriate number of buckets when designing a highly efficient Pelton turbine.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.