Rapid conversion of fat, oil and grease (FOG) into biodiesel without pre-treatment of FOG
- Rapid conversion of fat, oil and grease (FOG) into biodiesel without pre-treatment of FOG
- 박찬혁; 이제찬; 정종민; 전병훈; Chi-Hwa Wang; 이상룡; 권일한
- Fat, oil and grease (FOG); Waste management; Biodiesel; Waste-to-energy; Simultaneous esterification; transesterification
- Issue Date
- Journal of cleaner production
- VOL 168-1216
- In this study, the conversion of fat, oil and grease (FOG) into fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) without pre-treatment of FOG is investigated. A thermally induced process to accomplish simultaneous esterification of free fatty acids (FFAs) and transesterification of lipids is introduced. Despite high contents of impurities in FOG (∼14 wt%), the maximum achievable yield of FAMEs on feedstock mass basis was >86% for 10 s reaction time without removal of impurities prior to the reaction while conventional acid catalyzed reaction only produced <27.7% FAMEs from FOG. This means that the introduced technique can be effective for the conversion of low-quality raw material (e.g., FOG) into biodiesel. This study would suggest the potential not only for developing a sustainable integrated treatment process of FOG requiring no separation of lipids and FFAs in wastewater treatment facilities but also for using FOG as a renewable energy resource.
- Appears in Collections:
- KIST Publication > Article
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.